You may have been looking for a great Belgian Waffle recipe for a long time. Almost all of the ones we tried were good but they were never as good as we knew they could be. A perfect waffle is crispy on the outside and light tender on the inside, we do not want them to become cakey or heavy.
Challenged enough to create a perfect Belgian Waffle? Below is a simple recipe, perfect for occasional treats with our family and friends. Waffles are awesome served with warm maple syrup or our favourite flavours of syrup, topped with sliced fresh berries, bananas and some yummy vanilla ice cream.
Makes 7 Belgian Waffles
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- Combine flour, leaveners, salt and sugar and whisk to mix. Add water, egg yolks and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Whisk in melted butter.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl to stiff peaks, then fold into batter, half at a time.
- At first, it will seem very lumpy, but keep folding and it will smooth out.
- Warm up your Ellane Belgian Waffle Baker and pour the waffle batter into it. Bake for approximately 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with fresh sliced strawberries, blueberries, bananas, warm syrup and vanilla ice cream.